After the general disappointment of yesterday where things didn’t seem to be going right at all, today was a completely different kettle of fish. My fourth 8 o’clock start in the studio this week meant that I could go in early and try and rectify things that hadn’t quite gone to plan. The first thing to try and achieve was the coding. It only needed slight adjustments but it was way beyond my control and I was out of my depth by quite some way.
Thankfully, Ro Ramtohul, who is without a doubt an arduino magician as far as I can make out, helped me sort my code in just over an hour, which I was dead chuffed with. The changes that were made that makes it better and much more believable are as follows:
- When the phone is removed from the product, the mood light fades out almost instantaneously, compared to when I was trying it and it it faded out after that cycle.
- After a certain amount of time of the phone being in the product, the mood light will automatically turn off. This will likely be about half an hour, as on average, people get to sleep within 20 minutes. My original code couldn’t stop it… at all. So it would just loop continuously when the phone was in the device.
It was really only those two parts that needed fixed. But I am massively grateful to Ro for helping, as I am sure most other people in the class are for his assistance in their programming times of need.
The photograph below is just a glimpse into what the insides look like. I am not going to show you the rest, mainly because you cant see as it is very tightly packaged and it is just wires… everywhere.
With the coding sorted, I could finally get on with assembling the black one completely. I painted the edges that end up touching the light prism white because they do not show up as much when they are joined. I can’t remember if I have already mentioned this but no matter how I try and join the pieces together, there will always be bits which look untidy.
The photograph below shows the mood light working in test right before the parts were joined together. It will be quite difficult, but doable, to take them apart again.
ANYWAY. The parts were joined together and I set about just keeping my phone in it all day, doing continuous testing. It still works. And I am hoping that with the weekend at home I can further test it by doing some user testing and whatnot.
It wasn’t just the coding and the joining together that was successfully managed today. Here is a brief list of what else I managed to achieve:
- cut out new and tidy slips for the boxes
- cut out little boxes (that were finally the right size and cut right to fit together properly) that fit the cable, plug etc
- made the boxes up and glued them
- tidied up my test and swept underneath it
All in all it was a good day.