Where are the weeks going? Just now I am on the verge of starting week 6 and things are only just starting to get together but very slowly. I am still not 100% certain whether or not this direction is going to take me on a path that will lead to an outcome that I feel comfortable with at the end of it. This is an even more daunting prospect when I think that I have signed up to go to New Designers next July and it is putting my work in front of many potential employers. Anyway, this is what happened in Week 5:
- Monday. On this studio day, once again I can’t really remember what happened. We were briefly given a talk in the morning about what was to come in the next phase of the project. It was either that or it was showing an industry example of the phase that we are in just now. In the afternoon we got one of the IMD tutors in and was supposed to talk to us about prototyping. Instead all that happened was we were told that if we wanted to talk to him about prototyping our ideas we were to go and see him, but in the 3 hours of the afternoon he saw about 8 people…. of over 30 and we never saw him at all for the rest of the week. Thankfully, unlike other weeks, we were not given something to do for the next day and that always raises stress levels and sleep levels plummet.
- Tuesday: Our main tutor was not there that day for an unknown reason so his ‘assistant’ as it were, took over. He showed us/told us what he wanted us to do in preparation for Ideas day at the start of November. A day that, in previous years for product design, shows off all the ideas that we had come up with to a number of people from large companies such as IDEO or Microsoft and they provide crucial feedback. This time because we are basically being run by the IMD course, we are not doing 100 ideas and we are to produce between 3 and 6 briefs that dictate the direction that we want to go, but the strange thing is, the briefs were built upon our best ideas from the ones we produced a few weeks ago. The complete lack of guidance has left us not knowing properly what was to be included in the brief boards, how they were to look or any other detail. Yes this is to give us more control over the appearance and content but we are getting told very vague things and my energy for this course is depleting very rapidly.
- Wednesday: A non studio day and most of the time was spent trying originally trying to do do some dissertation that desperately needs done. Instead, a small amount of time was spent in the studio (it was a non teaching day) starting to think about the presentation boards that we had to do for the briefs for the following week.
- Thursday: This day was very similar to that of the Wednesday but because of quite a few annoying and loud people in the studio, I can’t really work there very well, so I spent most of the afternoon in the Library getting more bits of the presentation boards done. I focussed mainly on answering the questions that had to be included in them. As always though, motivation doesn’t seem to be very high at the moment and my mind kept on wandering away from the task in hand.
- Friday: I attempted to work in the studio again, but that was only because I was meant to be doing some laser cutting with someone and I was just waiting for them. It was fine for a couple of hours thanks to only a small number of people being in the studio at the time, but as the morning drew on, a handful of other people made an appearance and started to make noise, so just after lunchtime I called it quits in the studio and left. But luckily, I had the layout of the boards nailed and all I had to think about was the images I wanted to use in them. Friday afternoon was spent installing a new hard drive in my MacBook and putting everything I had on the old one onto the new one, so now I am running a full 200GB more… if that makes sense. So I have a total of 320GB instead of 120GB, not a big difference I’ll admit but it is big enough for what I need since I do not have my iMac up with me.
So that was my week. The Saturday was spent taking the few photos I needed for the presentation boards and doing a bit of fine tuning of what I had written on them. Apart from that, I made a few notes about some areas of research I should look into for this project, and other times were spent thinking about doing dissertation work since I am very close to finishing it, but hopefully with Week 6 technically being a reading week, I should be able to sit down in the library and get the third draft done and dusted. I do feel as though we have very little time to ourselves this year as they just seem to be piling on the work without cause or care, but that is fourth year I suppose.